When Did Our Creativity Die?
What if I told you that every company should put a person under the age of 6 in charge of creativity? Don’t believe me, try this test.
1. Identify two groups; one group age 6 years or younger and one group age 18+ years old
2. Take a blank sheet of paper or find a clean whiteboard
3. Draw a small-medium black circle in the middle
4. Ask each group the following: “Take a look at this and tell me what you see”?
Most adults will simply say “a black dot”. The children age 6 and less will come up with about 10 “things” that this simple black dot seems to be. Try it, I did and here are some of the responses;
(1) It’s an eye (2) the sun (3) Hair (4) Someone’s head (5) Daddy (this was a 3-year-old perspective, everything is Daddy) (6) a cross | Jesus | God (kids see so much!)
When did the business world lose creativity? Maybe when we started caring what other people thought? Maybe when we got so wrapped up in our measurables and project plans we forgot that you can have fun, be creative and get some work done. Gasp, perhaps we could have fun and even be more productive!! We lost our creativeness because we stopped having FUN!
If you don’t believe me, you may agree with a certain businessman by the name of Walt Disney. He built a successful company on the entire concept of having FUN, he thought beyond the bounds of business. My challenge to you is to hold a company intervention (I refuse to call it a meeting) and ask everyone to offer their most creative ideas on improving/increasing your business. There will be some bad ideas, this is a given. But I am willing to bet that the last 25% of the ideas in your intervention will be better than the first 75%….think about it!
Want to see how implementing simple FUN can increase productivity by 66%? Check out this video!